Final Divorce Decrees Are Rarely 'Final' — Get Help With Modifications

After your divorce is final, you may find that you need to make changes to some aspects of the divorce order. The most common post-divorce modifications concern child-related issues, such as modification to child support orders, custody and parenting plans. It is also possible in certain circumstances to seek modifications to alimony orders.

You may also find that you need to return to court to seek a contempt order against your former spouse if he or she fails to comply with any of the terms of the divorce. If your ex has filed a complaint for contempt against you, you may also wish to seek legal help.

Post-divorce modifications and enforcement actions can be as stressful as your original divorce proceedings were. If you need to seek an increase or decrease in child support, want to change your parenting plan, or are involved in a contempt proceeding, it helps to have assistance from a lawyer who can get the necessary work done as efficiently as possible to minimize the emotional strain that can go along with revisiting a difficult time in your life.

At Moniz & Mendes, P.C., in Massachusetts, many family law clients return to our Essex County divorce modification attorneys when they need post-divorce modifications. We also assist clients for whom we did not handle the original divorce proceedings. Our attorneys represent clients throughout the North Shore and surrounding Massachusetts communities.

Unmarried parents can also seek support order and custody order modifications, and contempt orders.

Post-Divorce Modifications: Substantial Change In Circumstances

When the financial circumstances of either party substantially change, that may be a sign that a child support modification is necessary. Child support orders can be adjusted up or down based on job loss, salary increases, and/or new financial needs that the children have.

Child custody and parenting time orders can be adjusted either based on the parents' mutual agreement or by court order. Parents may seek modifications of child custody or visitation orders when the parent with primary custody wishes to relocate out of the area, when the needs and desires of the children change with age, or when one parent has reason to believe the other parent is putting the child in harm's way.

Enforcement Of Divorce Orders: Complaints For Contempt

The method to enforce a divorce agreement is to file a motion for contempt with the divorce court. The judge will review the evidence and decide whether the person did, in fact, violate any of the divorce orders. If you are considering filing a complaint for contempt, we can provide practical advice and cost-effective representation. If you have been served with a complaint for contempt, we can explain your options and help you decide how best to proceed.

Do You Qualify For A Modification? Call 781-350-4963 To Find Out.

To learn more about our divorce and family law representation or to schedule your free initial consultation, contact us online, or call 781-350-4963.